The adage, “it takes a village,” runs true for hosting big cycling events, as well as so many other things in life. With that in mind, we are still looking for a few good volunteers to enable this great cycling event at the US Air Force Academy. As a veteran of many such volunteer opportunities, I can testify that this is a great way to get an up-close vantage point on professional and amateur races, give back to our local cycling community, and have a race experience akin to that experienced by Tour-de-France officials, soigneurs, and directors sportive—especially for those who volunteer to drive the lead and chase vehicles and provide support in the feed zones.
For high school-aged students looking for summer volunteer hours, there are still positions suitable for teenagers looking to support a non-profit event. This will demonstrate a student’s commitment to the community on a college application. Our volunteer coordinators can validate any volunteer time.
Available volunteer positions include:
- Set-Up – Assist the race organizing team in setting up the barricades, vendors’ area, registration site, and safety measures.
- Lead & Trail Vehicle Drivers – Drive the lead or chase vehicle for each race wave (my favorite) to improve safety and keep the race officials and director informed about each race’s progress.
- Course Marshals – Conduct traffic control and ensure that riders remain on course.
- Feed Zone/Water Bottle Assistants – Hand up water bottles to racers.
- Towel Assistants – Hand up cool race towels to finishers at the finish line
- Registration – Assist in registration and handing out race numbers and packets to racers.
Shifts of varying durations and times are still available. All volunteers will receive lunch (pizza), snacks, and water.
Don’t forget your sunscreen!
COS Racing Website & Set-up Lead